UCLA Recruiting Stories
• Jan 3, 2014 Whitley Flips to Bruins - The Texas LB who was committed to Alabama changes his commitment...
• Jan 3, 2014 Quick Notes from Semper Fi - Check out some of the news we've gathered from Semper Fi practices...
• Jan 3, 2014 Semper Fi: UCLA Snapshot - Lindsey and Brandon break down the top UCLA prospects at Semper Fi...
• Jan 3, 2014 Semper Fi: Cameron Griffin - The Bruin commit has had a memorable fall and is excited for UCLA...
• Jan 3, 2014 The BRO Buzz Word - It's the recruiting buzz on Mixon, Dixon, Starks, Delp and many more...
• Jan 3, 2014 Semper Fi Update: Brad Kaaya - The QB committed to Miami talks about where he is with commitment...
• Jan 2, 2014 Semper Fi Update: Adarius Pickett - The four-star cornerback talks Semper Fi game and UCLA...
• Jan 2, 2014 VIDEO: Semper Fi Practice Clips - We look into the West team's Semper Fidelis practices...
• Jan 2, 2014 O-D Bowl Update: Tre Watson - The Corona running back has two visits arranged and maybe a third...
• Jan 2, 2014 US Army Update: Solomon Thomas - The 5-star Texas defensive end talks about UCLA coming on...
• Jan 2, 2014 US Army Update: Zach Whitley - The Texas linebacker prospect talks about his Alabama commitment and UCLA...
• Jan 2, 2014 US Army Update: Ainuu Taua - The UCLA commit talks about recruiting fellow All-Americans...
• Jan 1, 2014 UCLA Notes from U.S. Army - There are evals and recruiting buzz on Wadood, Mixon, Taua and more...
• Jan 1, 2014 Semper Fi Update: Mattrell McGraw - The Louisiana DB talks about being down to two schools...
• Jan 1, 2014 Semper Fi Update: Kammy Delp - The Pomona OL will announce his decision at the Semper Fi game Sunday...
• Jan 1, 2014 UA Game: Best by Position - After three practices, Scout names the top performers, which includes some UCLA prospects...
• Dec 31, 2013 US Army Update: DB Jaleel Wadood - The UCLA commit talks about who he's recruiting in San Antonio...
• Dec 31, 2013 US Army Update: Nathan Starks - The Englewood (Colo.) Cherry Creek two-way athlete talks about his top three...
• Dec 31, 2013 UA Game Update: Malachi Dupre - Five programs are fighting for the top receiver in the country...
• Dec 31, 2013 UCLA Recruiting Notes from US Army - We have all the buzz and evaluations from the first day of practice...
• Dec 31, 2013 US Army Update: Dixon Announcing Saturday - The Ventura (Calif.) St. Bonaventure tight end will commit during Army Bowl...
• Dec 31, 2013 USAAAB: UCLA Snapshot - Scout takes a look at UCLA commits and targets playing in the Army Game...
• Dec 31, 2013 USAAAB: Mixon Ready to Announce - The five-star running back will choose from three schools on Saturday...
• Dec 31, 2013 US Army Update: Kenny Young - The 4-star Louisiana linebacker is still sorting out official visits...
• Dec 30, 2013 US Army Update: Trey Lealaimatafao - The Texas defensive tackle talks practice and his top three schools...
• Dec 30, 2013 US Army Update: Damien Mama - The Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco offensive guard still ironing out his official visits...
• Dec 30, 2013 UA Game Update: Adoree Jackson - The athlete shined on Day 1, and talked about UCLA being in it...
• Dec 30, 2013 U.S. Army Bowl Landing Page, Previews - Here are all the unit previews, including many UCLA prospects...
• Dec 30, 2013 VIDEO: UA Game Update: Juju Smith - The 5-star prospect from Long Beach talks on camera about the six he's considering...
• Dec 30, 2013 UA Game Update: Marlon Humphrey - The 5-star Alabama cornerback is looking at four schools down the stretch...
• Dec 29, 2013 Evals, Video & Pics from Under Armour: Day 1 - We have evals, video and pics of UCLA prospects in the AA game's first practice...
• Dec 29, 2013 UA Game Update: Rashaan Evans - It looks like it will be a very busy January for the five-star out of Alabama...
• Dec 29, 2013 Quick Recruiting Buzz from Under Armour - We get a few tidbits about the UCLA targets in game, like Adoree Jackson...
2014 UnderArmour All-America Game
Thursday, January 2nd - Tropicana Dome - St. Petersburg, Fla. - 1 p.m. PT - ESPN
OLB Rashaan Evans, Auburn (Ala.).
The No. 1 outside linebacker in the country by Scout.com, Evans has visited
UCLA officially, doing so in September. While he has several official
visits set for January, including the local SEC schools, he told Scout earlier
this month that UCLA still has a slight edge. Evans won't be announcing at
the UnderArmour Game, but being a Southern prospect with SEC interest, figures
to get a lot of snaps.
WR Malachi Dupre, River Ridge (La.) John Curtis Christian
Dupre is the nation's top-ranked receiver and the Bruins have been in the mix
for him for almost a year. While LSU and Florida State factor in
significantly into his recruitment, UCLA has stayed in the race. He won't
be announcing at the UA Game, but he will be visiting UCLA officially later in
the month, in fact, the final weekend before Signing Day.
CB Marlon Humphrey, Hoover (Ala.).
The five-star Humphrey is rumored to be taking a trip to UCLA in January, which is a huge recent development. The nation's #4-ranked corner is a phenomenal athlete, and Alabama, Florida State and Mississippi State have been his finalists for a while, but UCLA is trying to sneak in there.
Other UCLA recruits in UnderArmour All-America Game
CB Adoree Jackson, Gardena (Calif.) Serra
CB Jabrill Peppers, Paramus (N.J.) Paramus Catholic
S Juju Smith, Long Beach (Calif.) Poly
All-American Offense-Defense Bowl
Friday, January 3rd - Citrus Bowl Stadium -
Orlando, Fla - 2 p.m. PT - TV TBD
RB Tre Watson, 5-10, 185, Corona (Calif.) Centennial
Watson is verbally committed to Cal, but has long been rumored to be leaning toward flipping to UCLA. If Mixon, however, commits to UCLA that could change Watson's plans, even though Watson has said publicly Mixon's commitment wouldn't affect his decision.
2014 U.S. Army All-American Bowl
Saturday, January 4th - Alamodome -
San Antonio, Texas - 10 a.m. PT - NBC
DB Jaleel Wadood, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco- COMMIT
Named the Los Angeles Times Area Player of the Year this week, Wadood hasn't
lost a game all season, helping the Braves go 16-0 and win the CIF State Open
Division title. Now Wadood heads to San Antonio as one of three Braves in
the game (with Mama and Naijiel Hale), and one of three UCLA commits in the
game. The lone Scout 100 commit to UCLA so far, Wadood is the Bruins top
commit to date.
WR Austin Roberts, Carmel (Ind.)- COMMIT
Roberts has still yet to visit UCLA officially, but will do so in January.
However a commit since July, Roberts hasn't wavered at all in his verbal to the
Bruins. One of three Bruin commits on the West, Roberts is one of the best
players in the Midwest and should be a big target during the week for the West.
DT Ainuu Taua, Lompoc (Calif.)- COMMIT
California's top defensive tackle prospect, Taua committed to the Bruins earlier
this month, a four-star prospect who's now made it three years in a row the
Bruins have had a defensive tackle in the game and fourth in the last five
years. Interestingly, though, Taua is the first of those four to actually
be a Bruin commit before he got to San Antonio (Cassius Marsh was an LSU commit,
Ellis McCarthy committed to Cal during the game and Eddie Vanderdoes had just
decommitted from USC). Taua said in the past he hopes to get in on offense
on short yardage plays during the Army Bowl.
RB Joe Mixon, Oakley (Calif.) Freedom
All eyes will be on Mixon during the Army Bowl, the five-star running back set
to announce his decision during the game. Mixon announced last weekend
that he will have three hats on the table: Oklahoma, UCLA and Wisconsin.
But most still think that Cal is a factor in his recruitment and he has said he
wants to surprise people with his announcement. Who he picks may take a
back seat to how he actually announces.
TE Bryce Dixon, Ventura (Calif.) St. Bonaventure
The No. 2 tight end in the country, Dixon is down to UCLA and USC, while
Oregon is still trying to stay in the mix. But it appears that it's a Los
Angeles battle. Dixon won't be announcing at the Army Bowl, with plans to
visit both UCLA and USC officially in January.
DE Davon Godchaux, Plaquemine (La.)
Godchaux is a soft verbal to LSU, but he's still considering taking official visits in January, including one to UCLA. He did visit unofficially back in the spring, so UCLA is a legitimate option for him. He may firm things up at the U.S. Army Bowl, but UCLA is still trying to get him out for an official visit next month..
OL Damien Mama, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco
The No. 1 offensive guard prospect in the country, Mama has had the Bruins on his short list with Alabama and USC and they got back in the running with
offensive line coach Adrian Klemm trying to stay in the race. Mama had been UCLA's top offensive line target and he's been to a couple of UCLA's home games and getting plenty of attention from the Bruin coaches, particularly Klemm. UCLA is still in the mix for him, but everything points to him going to USC.
DE Solomon Thomas, Coppell (Texas)
Thomas has been on UCLA's radar for over a year, ever since he came out for the
Elite Camp going in to his junior year. In fact, one of his first offers
came from Adrian Klemm when he was at SMU. So the Bruins have been a
constant in his recruitment. Thomas visited UCLA earlier this month and he also named a top five
last week, which includes UCLA. He'll still visit Ohio State and Arkansas as well as Stanford, where he's awaiting word on his admission. But UCLA has firmly put themselves into the mix.
LB Kenny Young, River Ridge (La.) John Curtis Christian
Young is one of three JCC prospects that UCLA is recruiting that is playing
in one of the All-American Games (in fact, each of the three are playing in a
separate game). He's set to visit UCLA officially the weekend before Signing Day and the Bruins have that last weekend to wow him, after he's visited Texas A&M and Miami prior to the visit.
Young isn't expected to announce at the Army Bowl.
LB Zach Whitley, Galena Park (Texas) North Shore
Whitley is verbally committed to Alabama, and publicly re-affirmed his commitment after officially visiting Tuscaloosa December 14th. The #6-ranked inside linebacker in the nation officially visited UCLA the weekend before. His teammate, offensive lineman Najee Toran, is already signed to UCLA and accompanied him on his visit to L.A. After that UCLA visit, there was some buzz that Whitley was strongly considering flipping to UCLA. We're still hearing that UCLA has a chance with Whitley. The four-star linebacker is an early entrant to college, so he can currently sign with the college of his choice to enroll by early January. As of today, Whitley has yet to sign. If he is, indeed, going to enroll early at the college of his choice, to do it he will have to decide in time to enroll within two weeks.
Other UCLA recruits in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl
OLB Bryson Allen-Williams, Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove
OL Demetrius Knox, Fort Worth (Texas) Episcopal
OLB Dwight Williams, Gardena (Calif.) Serra
LS Tanner Carew, La Verne (Calif.) Damien
DT Trey Lealaimatafao, San Antonio (Texas) Warren
2014 Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl
Sunday, January 5th - StubHub Center - Carson, Calif - 6 p.m. PT - FOX Sports 1
CB Adarius Pickett, El Cerrito (Calif.)- COMMIT
Recently named the East Bay Player of the Year after leading El Cerrito to
the CIF-NCS title, Pickett signed his papers with UCLA and will enroll next
quarter. One of the top commits to the Bruins in this class, Pickett will
play defensive back in the game, but showed this year that he can play a variety
of positions, including running back. Pickett is one of two Bruin verbals
in the game.
OLB Cameron Griffin, Los Angeles (Calif.) View Park- COMMIT
Griffin has had quite the fall. He got an offer from his childhood dream
school in UCLA, letting him flip his commitment from San Diego State to the
Bruins. A couple weeks later, he led View Park to their first-ever CIF
City Section title and a spot in the CIF SoCal D-IV regionals. In the
midst of that, he became the first football player from his school to ever be
selected to an All-American football game. Griffin is the second of two
commits to UCLA in the game.
OG Kammy Delp, Pomona (Calif.) Diamond Ranch
UCLA is one of Delp's co-leaders, the other being Arizona State. Delp
visited Arizona State officially in November and is set to visit UCLA officially
in January. But before then, he'll make his decision on Sunday during the
Semper Fi Bowl. Delp said he's got a top five, and besides the Bruins and
Sun Devils, he's also included Oregon State, Washington and Washington State.
Still, it would be a surprise if he picked anyone besides the Bruins or Sun
QB Brad Kaaya, West Hills (Calif.) Chaminade
Kaaya is committed to Miami, but his story has been told for months- UCLA
offered him in September and would like nothing more to flip him in the weeks
leading up to Signing Day. Kaaya has maintained his commitment to Miami
despite offers coming in from schools this fall. But UCLA has had him at a
couple home games, had an in-home visit with him this month and continues to
pursue him. Kaaya returns to the scene of arguably his finest moment.
Last weekend, Kaaya led the Eagles to the CIF State D-II title at the StubHub
S Mattrell McGraw, River Ridge (La.) John Curtis Christian
Having made several visits to the Southland over the course of the last year,
McGraw returns back to Los Angeles, though a visit to UCLA won't be on the
schedule for the first time. That's only because he's not able to visit
UCLA while in town for the Semper Fi Bowl. That said, he'll be back later
in the month for his official visit, joining his two teammates, Kenny Young and
Malachi Dupre, the final weekend before Signing Day. Oregon and Florida
State are also on his short list.
OL Kenyon Frison, West Valley City (Utah) Granger
UCLA has recently gotten on board with him and is hoping to bring him out for an
official visit and will try to flip him. He's got tremendous upside and has a
chance to be a good player in college. UCLA is also playing up the fact that the
last lineman they got from Utah has turned out pretty good. UCLA would like to
get him in for a visit later in January to make a pitch to him.
Other UCLA recruits in the Semper Fidelis All-American Bowl
DT Marcus Griffin, Bellevue (Wash.)
MLB Chandler Leniu, Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco